13/06/2010

Forever Young

During browsing through my laptop to delete any unwanted files, I stumbled across the photos I took from a catwalk I attended at The Big Bang competition in Manchester (a national competition for engineering and science for students across the UK). The catwalk was based on the biology of ageing which was extrememly fascinating! You do not know the effort I went through to attend this catwalk... it was shown a few times across the period of the 3 days, with me missing all but the last showing!

The catwalk was hosted by D&G (Design and Gerontology), with the aim of focusing on the science of ageing to inspire young people to design an exciting collection. The collection consisted of 13 pieces, so I picked 4 of my favourites to show you.
The Oedema Outfit - The dress represents the restricted blood flow and the swelling caused in the affected areas.
Muscle Dress - A corset on the top half represents the youthful muscle relaxed and contracted, with the contrasting more rigid muscles of old age.
The Freckle Dress - the top of the dress is smooth and clear to represent the skin of a baby, with the bottom showing the distressed state of aged skin.
The Skeleton Outfit - The structured skirt shows the strong bones in youth, whereas the chiffon blouse represents the weak bones in later life.

The project seemed a little strange at first, but when the music began and the narrator/presenter stepped on the side stage everything began to make sense. 'Ooo's and 'Aaah's ran through the audience of the catwalk, I think I speak for everyone there when I say we were captivated by both the beauty of the clothes and the effort put into them. I was pretty envious of the designers as the only time I came close to a sewing machine resulted in a hefty bill to fix it! Better luck this Summer I'm hoping...

If you want more information on the D&G project, feel free to visit http://www.actiondog.net/d&g/

I hope you've all had a good weekend!

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness i cannot even imagine who difficult it would have been to sew the last outfit, soooo impressive! i just bought a sewing machine and the first time i used it i messed up the bobbin ugh lol hopefully this summer i will get a little bit better!! i hope you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, these are very amazing pieces.

    ReplyDelete

I really do enjoy reading your comments, and will do my best to reply to all of them!